Sunday, May 1, 2011

Kindle book lending

So, yes, I confess: I bought a Kindle 3 nearly two months ago, and it has proved to be as game-changing a device as the iPod. Between the two, the amount of information I can easily carry with me from place to place is staggering.

A wonderful feature that I just discovered is that some publishers enable Kindle users easily to loan their books to one another for fourteen days. This addresses one of the sore spots of ebook users, who have not liked the idea that they cannot pass around their ebooks the way people do with regular books. There is a site that facilitates lending among a very large community of users: www.booklending.com—if you have a Kindle, check it out.

Update 23 May: The lending feature is not nearly as good as I had first thought: apparently, you get to loan the book only once, ever.

4 comments:

Hume's Ghost said...

Absolutely love my kindle, and still use it frequently despite having an iPad and its superior virtual book format (iBook) - and I don't even have the much nicer new Kindle that you have, I've got the previous, clunkier edition. Even when I do read on my iPad, its usually on the Kindle app.

I've filled by kindle with bunches and bunches of public domain material, more than enough to make the device pay for itself in terms of money I would have had to spend getting print versions of such material, not to mention the amount of space it would consume.

Kindle is also great for finding (for free) obscure books like Tom Sawyer Abroad and Tom Sawyer Detective or The Worm Ouroboros.

Bradley C. said...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I will probably use it more than I should.

The purchase of a kindle has pretty much destroyed my social life. My information intake has probably doubled, and it is great for reading through the history of philosophy, as most everything you could want is available for free.

Joel said...

I've listed the books that I have available for lending on my blog, here. If there are any that strike your fancy, I'd be happy to swap it for something you have.

Mark Vuletic said...

Thank you for the kind offer! I use Lendle to loan my books now: enough loans will actually net you some Amazon credit, so I recommend it to you if you have many books available to lend. Since Overdrive now supports the Kindle as well, you can also request Kindle books through your local library.