Friday, October 22, 2010

Wikileaks war logs

Wikileaks has released more Iraq war logs. The information coming out is important: reports of detainee abuse and executions by Iraqi civilian forces, a formal policy by coalition forces to effectively ignore such actions, and a secret civilian death tally. I do not at all buy the government's refrain that all of this should be kept under wraps because it endangers US troops. Both times I was in Iraq, I would have been happy to see this information come out, even if it would have increased my risk of being killed: when a democracy goes to war, the citizens need to understand what is actually happening on the ground. I would not have wanted such information withheld, even to protect me; having actually served, of course, I'm quite sure that the only thing anyone is trying to protect here, is his or her career.

No comments: