Friday, June 18, 2010

How not to protest the Cordoba Initiative

Elle Mikulincer-Weiss, Fifth Column at the Town Hall:
After a slow discussion about a new theatre project, the board moved to the main event. I struggled to hear the speakers over the shouts of Pamela Geller, who manages the conservative blog Atlas Shrugs. She was sitting a few rows behind me with some sign-carriers who looked like they lived outside the neighborhood, and whenever a speaker from the Coroda Project [sic] spoke, shouts of “Fifth column!” and “No more Shariah!” erupted behind me.

Judging by the crowd’s reaction, the Cordoba Initiative may have scored a major victory without lifting a finger. Instead of guns, the right-wingers seemed to have brought “weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men,” as the “Twilight Zone” episode “The Monsters are Due on Maple Street” puts it. Listening to conspiracy theories about Muslims wanting to destroy democracy, I wondered whether I was an insane person in a reasonable world or if the whole world had gone crazy.

[...]

The protesters did not seem interested in empathy, though. When I heard one of them sound a shofar as a rallying cry, I asked why he chose a symbol of Jewish heritage to energize his cause.

“Well, I’m Christian so it’s my heritage now and I don’t care if Jews are insulted,” he replied.

“You lost that right when you rejected God,” his friend said. “It’s my religious heritage now, so why should I care what you think? Besides, Jews constantly don’t see what’s in front of them. They should have left Nazi Germany and gone to America. We’re a Christian nation.”
And it goes on. I'm accustomed to seeing this kind of behavior from Muslim protesters in YouTube clips; guess they don't have a monopoly.

1 comment:

Hume's Ghost said...

Pamela Gellar is an insane, genocidal quasifascist. I cant begin to express how profoundly disturbing I find it that someone such as her is granted mainstream commenter status on the cable news shows. Her blog is a nightmare of shrieking, hysterical crazy that leaps off the page at you ... She makes Glenn Beck look like John Rawls in comparison.

Just look at her Obama birther posts. She has written that Obama is hiding his birth ceretificate because he is really the illigitimage child of Malcolm X. Seriously. Oh, that and his administration is killing people to cover up his birth certificate forgery.