Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Greatest Show on Earth

I can't believe I haven't yet plugged Richard Dawkins' latest book, The Greatest Show on Earth, on this blog. Dawkins had to call me up the other day to remind me. The conversation went something like this:

Dawkins: Oi! Read me bloomin' new book! I'm Richard Dawkins, I am!

Me: I read it a while ago, Dr. Dawkins. I just forgot to promote it on my blog.

Dawkins: Blimey!

OK, none of that happened, but it could have. Anyway, suffice it to say that The Greatest Show on Earth is signature Dawkins: reading it, one not only absorbs information effortlessly, but feels clearly that one is in the presence of a man who harbors deep love for the natural world and the correct tools for understanding it. Unfortunately, as the book is an intelligent book, concerned with things that actually are true, it is unsuitable for most audiences.

2 comments:

Hume's Ghost said...

I read about a third of it severeal months ago, ran up against the library return date, and have been too distracted by othee books to get back around to finishinf it, yet. That being said, I loved as much as I read and think Daw,ins has the best of the darwin 200 books that came out, superior to Coyne's morere concise work.

This is Dawkins at his best.

Steelman said...

My library bought the book and (lucky commuter, me!) the CDs. Listened to Richard and Lalla tell me all about genomes and radiometric dating, while expertly dodging the mechanical weaponry of my apathetically, and usually unintentionally, homicidal fellow travelers. Though there were gaps in my recollection of the road when the narration got interesting, which was most of the time. Well, I never noticed any unfamiliar paint on the car, so probably no harm done.

At any rate, an excellent listen and highly recommended.