Monday, January 25, 2010

LibraryThing

Stupid me. I have been trying for about a decade now to figure out a secure, efficient way to keep track of the books I have read. Not once, in all that time, did it ever occur to me to just search for an online service that specializes in precisely that. In fact, there are at least three major ones.

I have chosen LibraryThing, since it looks to be the site built most around cataloging, and least around social networking. Now I just have to remember all of the books I have read. So far, I have recalled 1062 of them. I know I'm missing at least another 500, even with my decision to exclude most works of fiction. Anyway, LibraryThing—do it.

3 comments:

Hume's Ghost said...

I've been writing down the books I read for the last couple of years in a little memo book, and I suppose if I ever get around to purchasing enough book shelf space to be able to store my book collection in an orderly fashion I'd be able to count which of my books I've read, but there's no way I can remember the books that I've read from the library and elsewhere prior to when I started keeping track ...

I wish I'd started keeping track earlier in life.

Becky said...

As I was reading this, two things occured to me. First, I could probably count all the books I've read on two, if not one, hand(s). This saddens me. Second, your bio in the corner is thoroughly amusing. I lol'd alone, like a creep.

Mark Vuletic said...

It's never too late to become a book maven. My goal is to be able to match up the books I have read with all of the positive integers. Then, whenever a new book comes out, I will move the book in slot 1 to slot 2, the book in slot 2 to slot 3, and so forth, to make room for the new book.