Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

A very happy New Year to all of you who follow www.vuletic.com/hume and The Atheologian. Hume imagined us counseled by nature: "Be a philosopher; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man."* I have to disagree with the good David. My resolution for this year is the same resolution I have tried to reaffirm daily for the last several years: be more of a philosopher, and less of a man. Who wants humanity? Personally, I'm hoping for the most robotic decade ever.

* An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. Indianapolis: Hackett, 1993, p. 4

2 comments:

Hume's Ghost said...

Happy new year! My New Year's resolution is a re-resolution to finish last year's resolution.

Steelman said...

Happy new year, to you too, Mark!

Yes, being human isn't necessary for philosophizing; it's nothing a halfway decent robot, or a brain in a vat, can't handle. ;)