Sunday, April 19, 2009

Science podcasts

I am subscribed to far too many podcasts, but I am unwilling (for now) to reduce my current allotment in the science category. Here are the ones I have settled on:

The very best is The Guardian's Science Weekly. Alok Jha and his team are smart and entertaining, they have awesome accents, and they make no bones about talking about atheism. I miss the old opening electric guitar riff, but one can't have everything. If I could keep only one science podcast, this would be it.

Next in line is Scientific American's Science Talk. I like Steve Mirsky. His name is nowhere near as cool as "Alok Jha," but that particular bar is set very high: the only comparably cool names I know are Jagdish Bhagwati and Theodosius Dobzhansky.

Finally, there is the BBC World Service's no-nonsense Science in Action. It's no-nonsense.

Between these three podcasts, you should be able to get all the science news fit for public consumption, and then some.

2 comments:

Hume's Ghost said...

My list:

SciAm's Science Talk

Nature (accents here, too)

Science

NPR's Science Friday

Steelman said...

Added Science Weekly and Science Talk to my regular listening a couple of weeks ago, after reading your post.

Still keeping NPR's Science Friday, which gives me three different flavors of science news on the ol'Pod.