Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Death of God and the Meaning of Life

I recently finished my second book by Julian Young, The Death of God and the Meaning of Life. It's really just a fantastic book, the very best I have read so far about Continental philosophy.

I normally don't have much patience with obscure writers, which means I generally don't care for the Continentals. The two exceptions are Nietzsche, whose sheer coolness overcomes his obscurity, and Schopenhauer, who is in fact such a clear writer that I am tempted, circularly, to declare that he must not be a Continental philosopher after all.

In any case, Young makes a whole set of the usual suspects accessible. And wouldn't you know it, they're all interesting, when presented by someone who knows how to write more clearly than they do. (Plato shows up in the book, too, but I've never had a problem with him.)

Anyway, hats off to Julian Young. He is rapidly becoming one of my favorite writers.

No comments: